SONOWORLD : Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS
Registered Members as of
Contributed Journal Articles
Articles on TheFetus.net
Sonoworld is dedicated to providing free educational resources to ultrasound professionals and students. This site contains a wide range of ultrasound resources, including
by some of the most recognized sonography authorities in the world. You can also visit our
section to find in depth discussions surrounding a wide range of sonography topics. In addition, we offer free and paid
to those who need to meet CME requirements to maintain their professional certification or licensure. By signing up for a
with Sonoworld, you gain access to all of our sonography resources on the site.
Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS
Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS
More Information on Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS
To provide you with a clinical perspective as to the importance of proper evaluation of the fetal heart, Dr. DeVore has included in the Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS program several tutorials that discuss current guidelines and recommendations for the physician or sonographer who has the responsibility of examining the fetus.
Screening Examination of the Heart
The Four-Chamber View
* Optimizing the Real-Time Image
* Diagnostic Criteria
* Study Guide
* Image Preference Guide
* Self-Assessment Examination
* Preferred Image Orientation
Outflow Tract I - Rotational Sweep From The Four-Chamber View
Outflow Tract II - Cephalad Sweep From The Four-Chamber View
Outflow Tracts III - The Aortic and Ductal Arches
Pathology of the Fetal Heart
section the tutorials include
Evaluating Cardiac Size
Identification of Abnormal Anatomy
Abnormal Ultrasound Studies
Gallery of Abnormalities
Test Your Diagnostic Skills
Also included are sixty full text articles from the Literature as well as chapters from textbooks.
The newest version of Fetal Echocardiography-Gold Edition PLUS contains additional programs that were not available in the original version. The following is a list of additional programs:
1. Z-Scores. This tutorial explains how to measure 2D images of the fetal heart and outflow tracts using Z-scores. It includes graphs in pdf format as well as a Excel spreadsheet from which the user can derive the Z-score values.
2. Pulsed Doppler. This tutorial reviews in detail pulsed Doppler examination of the fetal heart and includes topics such as the PR interval and TEI indices. Graphs and tables are provided for pulsed Doppler measurements in pdf format.
3. Reference Guide. This is a quick reference guide in which the user can identify cardiac anatomy based upon fetal position. While these guides are contained within the Fetal Echocardiography Gold Edition PLUS tutorials, they have been compiled in one easy to reference program.
Two posters can be opened in pdf and printed for reference views or the four-chamber view, five chamber view, three-vessel view, and the tracheal view for fetuses in the vertex and breech positions.
1. 3D/4D Fetal Echocardiography. This program teaches the examiner how to use a 3D/4D offline program to examine and manipulate volume datasets. The program contains movie tutorials illustrating how to use the program, normal cases and pathological cases. The pathological cases allow the examiner to review the anatomy and then refer to labeled images and video clips of the pathological findings.
2. AIUM Fetal Heart Screening Program. The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine has given permission to include a program describing how to acquire and interpret images of the fetal heart that meet the requirements for the screening evaluation of the fetal heart.
3. ISUOG Fetal Heart Screening Program. The International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology has given permission to include a program describing how to acquire and interpret images of the fetal heart that meet the requirements for the screening evaluation of the fetal heart.
Dr. DeVore has provided video lectures from three popular topics that he has been asked to speak about both nationally and internationally at continuing medical education courses. The topics are as follows:
1. Screening for cardiac anomalies using 2D and 3D ultrasound
2. Medical-Legal Implications of Screening for Cardiac Defects
3. The Fetal Heart and Genetic Sonography
The program is designed to operate under the Windows environment.
COMPUTER: PENTIUM 3 OR GREATER
MEMORY: 128 MB OR GREATER
OPERATING SYSTEM: WINDOWS 98, ME, 2000, OR XP
* THE PROGRAM WILL ALSO RUN ON THE NEW APPLE COMPUTERS WITH THE INTEL PROCESSOR IN WHICH WINDOWS IS LOADED AS A SEPARATE PROGRAM. IN ADDITION IT RUNS UNDER PARALLELS DESKTOP.
A Message from Dr. DeVore
For the past 25 years I have been involved with studying and implementing echocardiographic principles used in the evaluation of the fetus. During this period of time I have had the opportunity of teaching principles of the echocardiographic examination using the peer review literature, textbooks, lectures, and individualized training of physicians. However, one of the limitations has been the inability to convey the principles of echocardiography using a print or slide medium in which display of the dynamic movement of the heart is possible. In an attempt to recreate the clinical environment when evaluating the fetal heart, I began a project several years ago which has resulted in the release of the Fetal Echocardiography – Gold Edition PLUS multimedia program.
With recent changes in health care, the role of the specialist is constantly being challenged. Many of us find ourselves in a competitive marketplace in which our skills are constantly being challenged and where one can ill-afford to make diagnostic errors. For a number of years only the four-chamber view was required for the screening examination of the heart. Recently, professional organizations (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, American College of Radiology, The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, and the Australian Society of Ultrasound in Medicine) have recommended that physicians incorporate the outflow tracts with the four-chamber view in the routine examination of the heart. This presents new challenges since this is one of the most complex components of the fetal cardiovascular examination.
Given the above concerns and diagnostic challenges, the programs that make up Fetal Echocardiography – Gold Edition PLUS are designed to teach step-by-step procedures so that you will be able to perform the evaluation of the fetal heart with a high level of proficiency and accuracy
This multimedia program teaches the principles required to evaluate the four-chamber and outflow tracts of the fetal heart. Originally a 2 CD-ROM collection, the program is now shipped on a single DVD. The disk contains 12 tutorials designed to enhance your imaging and diagnostic skills when evaluating the fetal heart. It includes over 500 video clips, images of pathological specimens, and 60 full-text articles from the medical literature. The program was introduced in 1999 and was updated in 2005. The user can apply for up to 15 hours of AMA category 1 credits.
About the Author
Terms of Service and Disclaimer
Copyrights © MedImageWorld L.L.C. 2001-2017 All Rights Reserved.